Saturday, September 15, 2007

The Real World (not as seen on TV)





(My students from training in Pasadena, California)


For my faithful readers, (*cough* Andrew and Hope *cough*)


In the words of my dear friend John Mayer "welcome to the real world..." , I realize I have now tasted a slice of reality. It's a bit crunchy and has the ability to give you serious indigestion - not sure how you'll take that, but I felt like describing reality as crunchy.

Celebrating my one month in Slovakia yesterday by doing schoolwork, it hit me. "You are home on a Saturday night, up to your eyeballs in work...reality." Now, I realize it will not be like this every week, but it has made me realize that the days of writing 10-page papers the night before they're due, are over. (mmmm...we'll see though, once a procrastinator, always a procrastinator) Especially when you're waking up at 5 am every morning...I'm turning into an old woman. "Gotta be home by 8 tonight..." ;)

I have been overwhelmed by so many thoughts lately. Thoughts of my life here in Slovakia - literally waking up mornings going " God, why am I here?" , to not even believing that I'm being used in incredible ways to reach people here. Thoughts of friends and family back home, missing those relationships and wishing that I could find a way to instantly bring them into my living room to sit and talk and laugh for hours. I am overwhelmed with the thoughts that no matter where you are in the world, the same human problems exist. We're all searching for acceptance, for LOVE. As a new highschool teacher, and if you're reading this and have ever worked with highschool students you know what I mean, you see alot. What a place to see every emotion possible, every insecurity, every desire to want to fit in...sometimes I feel like I'm some observer to some sociological experiment. I love these kids. I have never felt more overwhelmed with work in my entire life, but have also never felt so excited about it. I have a special place in these young lives ( it makes me laugh to say that, because I'm literally 4 or 5 years older than some of my students) and I have the opportunity to make a difference in their lives. It's weird to be working so hard with lessons, and putting so much time into it, but more than anything - it's not the work and the lessons I even care about, but them - my students. I have fun teaching though - it's a great place to practice your acting skills and getting rid of insecurities, because if you have any - they spot them in a second. It's also a great place to see if you're really as funny as you think you are. :) This is one of the hardest, most trying and exciting challenges I have ever experienced.




"God why am I here??" .... " Just you wait, " He says.




If a man is called a streetsweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and Earth will pause to say, Here lived a great streetsweeper who did his job well. ~Martin Luther King, Jr.



Thanks for reminding us Martin.

7 comments:

h. e. c. said...

i'm a faithful reader. <3

Hope said...

1. You are just as funny as you think you are.

2. You will probably be grading papers or doing lesson plans on Saturdays for the rest of your time there.

3. Don't for a moment underestimate your incredible impact of these teenagers, some will remember you and your words until they are 87.

4. You are beautiful and one of my BEST friends.

5. I think more people may know about your blog than you have revealed it to ...

Unknown said...

yes, you are as funny as you think you are. i'm thinking that languages that don't use puns and scarcasm are missing out on the full effect of your humor.
and i AM a faithful reader.

Anonymous said...

i will be a faithful reader as well from now on. :)

praying for you.

pauline

Unknown said...

Katie Owens...how did I not know about this blog but somehow I stumbled upon it....well I love you and am praying for you soooo much!

Alex said...

as am I! :)

Karyn said...

katie i read it too :) keep it coming